Friday, June 22, 2007

Bukit Genting - The Verdict

2 weeks ago, went to Bukit Genting for dinner. Apparently the thai restaurant is quite famous. My verdict is in. hehe. For directions there, can refer to the maps below.



The road up to the restaurant was steep. VERY STEEP!! But the view was breathtaking. Can't take photos when going up. Two hands on the steering wheel. If not, I'd be hurtling down the hill. Don't want that to happen. I think the reason why the restaurant is appealing is because of the view. "Romantic" labeled on through and through.

The entrance at the foot of the hill which is situated quite hidden from the main road. Might miss it if didn't look carefully. It says "Bukit Genting Eco Tourism".
Omelette with stuffing a la thai. There's cucumber, carrots, peas, and corn. We ordered a small plate. For a good reason, it wasn't bad. Just not that great. I bet my grandma can do one better.

Fried KangKung. Now this is interesting. And tasty too. I liked this dish the most. And there's hidden 'dynamite' in the form of cili padi. Nearly bombed my mouth if not for my sharp eyes. haha. Actually my fren told me about it, if not. Urgh...Don't wanna think about it.

Otak Otak. This dish is disapointing. A little too dry. And not as fragrant as I thought it would be. Partly because the missing indgredient, 'chai ko kam'. Ask ur mummy what's that. I dunno the english equivalent. And it's seafood otak otak. 2 prawns only? Come on... can do better la.

The appetizer. What's this called?.. I think it is called mengkom. Something like that. I like the sauce in the middle. What you do is use the leaf and wrap everything in it and then top up with the sauce. Yummy.



The reason why the place is so popular despite the mediocre food. The sunsets! The view is simply beautiful. Stunning.

Balik Pulau town. Nicely nestled at the foot of the hill overlooking the sea.

I think this is Teluk Kumbar town. I think.
The food is not as nice as what some of my other friends mentioned. But the view compensate it hugely. For a moment, you'll forget about the food and just stare at the open space with the sunset. Then when it's dark, you'll realise that a huge chunk of your money is spent on climbing up the steep hill and enjoying the sunset.
My friends said it is an ideal place for couples to enjoy. hehe. Gotta go find me one now to enjoy.
Hahaha.

2 comments:

yung . said...

I haven't tried bukit genting before, but the comments are almost the same, nice sceneries but 'okay' food. Will go try some day when I'm in penang

SioW JM said...

it is not the best thai food u can find in penang. :( very authentic with thai workers ... i think opened by a thai. not sure. :P